The Jackson School of Geosciences at The University of Texas at Austin unites one of the largest and most respected academic departments of geological sciences with two world-renowned research units, the Institute for Geophysics and the Bureau of Economic Geology, combining a strong tradition of basic collaborative research with a robust program of applied research. Under its new strategic plan, the school is adding 30-35 new faculty and scientists over the next five years with the goal of becoming the preeminent geoscience program in the United States.
The Jackson School is both old and new. It traces its origins to a Department of Geology founded in 1888 but became a separate unit at the level of a college only on September 1, 2005. The school’s formation resulted from one of the most generous gifts in the history of higher education when the late John A. and Katherine G. Jackson bequeathed endowments and assets to the university presently valued at over $300 million.
Source: Department Website July 2015