Welcome to the Department of Geology at Baylor University located in Waco, Texas! We are a vibrant and growing Department of 15 faculty, approximately 25 graduate students (M.S. and Ph.D.), and approximately 70 undergraduates emphasizing interdisciplinary undergraduate and graduate instruction and research in the geosciences.
The Geology Department at Baylor University provides high-quality undergraduate and graduate education, and develops geoscience students into competent practitioners, whether they eventually choose to work in industry, academia, or government sectors of employment. Our faculty members emphasize teaching state-of-the-art courses and research involving one-on-one mentoring of our students, which is possible given our smaller class sizes and favorable faculty/student ratios. And we are fortunate to have a very loyal and generous alumni group that contributes to the overall financial health of our program as well as provides opportunities for networking and job-seeking.
The mission of the Geology Department at Baylor University is to develop, apply and transmit scientific knowledge about the Earth and Earth's systems throughout its 4.6 billion year history. Our mission includes:
- Provision of high-quality undergraduate and graduate education, including development of techniques for enhancing geoscience education;
- Development of geoscience students as scientists and as highly competent practitioners;
- Education of Baylor's general student population about Earth and its natural systems;
- Development of new knowledge through scientific research;
- Effective communication of new knowledge to the global geoscience community;
- Application of geoscience knowledge to address practical problems affecting human society, including stewardship of the natural world;
- Service as a source of reliable geoscience information within the university community and beyond; and
- Maintenance of an environment within the Geology Department characterized by mutual support, respect and kindness.
Source: Department Website July 2015